Pilot

Hello! My name is Mariah. I was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska. I’m currently working on getting my BS in Biology. I’m not 100% sure what I want to do with my life yet, but as of right now, I am pursuing becoming a coroner or an assistant to one. I like to travel, go to the gym, and play video games or repair vehicles during my free time.  

For my art piece, I decided to choose a painting called “Death on a Pale Horse” by Benjamin West.



The reason I chose this painting is because I love to see people's interpretations of the same thing/story. I find it intriguing, especially since I have a hard time being as artistic.

I have always been a left-brain kind of person. Being creative is difficult for me at times, but I still really enjoy what other people create. I do not make my own art nor have I ever been to any art museums or galleries, but I am open to the idea of going to one!

A video that has been a sort of inspiration for me is this TedTalk called A Journey through the Mind of an Artist by Dustin Yellin. The idea of drawing on a bunch of layers and putting them together to make art is so fascinating. I like to think I could one day also create art like this!

Comments

  1. I agree, a group of people can be given the same problem and come up with entirely different solutions. In the case of art, the solutions are limitless. Try looking up "Biblically Accurate Angels", now there's some interesting interpretations from the same description/story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got sucked into the Ted Talk - "animal mesh underworld" - great description. Here's a challenge for you. Go to the Museum of the North. The upstairs features lots of art, many of them are local artists - like Craig Buchanan's "outhouse" sculpture. He and I used to be neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate! I also struggle with creativity sometimes, and my rational brain usually gets the better of me. But if you ever find yourself in Colorado, I highly recommend visiting the Denver Museum of Science and Nature. They have a fantastic exhibition on the Moscow gem sculptures and a vast display of local native art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mariah! I love to go to the gym as well! And that is very cool that you like to work on cars during your free time. I also agree that it is very interesting to find art pieces and ask of peoples perceptions on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mariah! Off topic, but every time I try to type your name I accidentally spell my own instead (Marisa), which I find very amusing. I really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your enthusiasm for art! I'm also only 50% sure of what I want to be when I grow up, so I feel your pain, but I think part of the human experience is to leave a few percentages open to growth and/or improvement. Always remember, no matter what, to be 100% you! Loved your blog, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mariah!
    It is nice to hear that I am not the only one who is not well-versed in the arts; I sort of stumbled into it through photography and building cameras, but I am still not well-versed at all. I do love that you highlight the interest in multiple interpretations of the same story; that is certainly a part of art/history I enjoy a lot, given how complex the world is and how inherently problematic/overreaching it seems to be, to say that one particular point of view of an event is correct while all others are wrong! I can see how that side of art would become extremely interesting! Thank you for your post and I look forward to reading more from you!
    -Andy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts